1. The application for a Building Permit shall contain the following:
The following information is provided to describe the process to obtain a building permit for new construction in the City of Jackson.
- One set of complete construction documents (i.e., plans, specifications, calculations on all engineered members, trusses, glue-lam beams, floor trusses etc., energy compliance documents).
- Plans and documents may be submitted with a paper or PDF copy (PDF is preferred).
- Approved plans will be sent out digitally as a PDF. Paper copies will not be issued unless requested.
- California Business and Professions Code requires that all structures in other than R3 (dwellings) or U (garage and agricultural) occupancy groups, shall be designed by a California licensed Engineer or Architect and be wet signed by the appropriate authors.
- Unlicensed persons may design occupancy group R3 and U depending on size and construction method used. A Single-Family Dwelling of wood framing “conventional construction” (as covered by Section 1603 and Section 2308 of the California Building Code and Section R106 of the California Residential Code), not more than two stories and a basement in height, may be designed by unlicensed persons.
- All steel framed masonry buildings or masonry walls over 4’ in height (measured from bottom of footing to top of wall) must be designed by a licensed Architect or Engineer.
- The application and construction documents will be reviewed, approved and a BUILDING PERMIT issued prior to construction.
- DETACHED STRUCTURES REQUIRE SEPARATE PERMITS!
NEW Building department permit portal. Use this portal to submit new building and encroachment applications and access existing applications.
Access to existing applications will allow applicants to check:
- Permit status
- Check and pay permit fees ONLINE
- Upload additional documents
- See plan review status and approvals
- Download Approved plans.
- Message city staff about permit
- Request inspections
The Building Department is the primary source of service and information to builders and the public regarding general construction and the building codes. This program serves engineers, architects, developers, contractors, homeowners, and others involved in the design, construction, and/or maintenance of private property in Jackson. The department provides technical assistance to homeowners and contractors, reviews and processes applications, issues building permits, and provides building records reports. The Building Department is also responsible for administering the portions of the city’s code enforcement/neighborhood enhancement programs associated with the condition of structures on private property, weeds, and rubbish abatement.
The Building Inspector is available to answer any questions at the Jackson City Hall, 33 Broadway or by calling 209-273-7990, during business hours. On-site inspection times are usually available with a 24-hour notice.
For permit applications and information regarding construction projects within the City of Jackson please see the FORMS below.
<<<WEB PAGE UNDER DEVELOPMENT --- ADDITIONAL FILE ATTACHMENTS COMING SOON>>>
Building Department Form
- Permit Application
- Encroachment Application
- Transportation Permit Application
- Addressing Request Form
- Fee Schedule
- Fee Application
- Building Valuation Table ICC
- Refund Policy
- Added Fees
- As-built After the Fact Permits
- New Construction Permit Information
- Decks Construction Flyer
- SFD Requirements
- ADU Requirements
- City Improvement Standards
- What does and does not require a Building Permit
- Solar Guidebook
- Smoke and Carbon Requirements
- Owner Builder Information
- Generator Install Checklist
- Swimming Pools and Spas
- Encroachment Process
- SFD process
- Grading Process
- Commercial Tenant Improvement